What is standing seam?
Standing seam is a single folded or double folded seam.
- The use of profiling and seaming machines for the closure of longitudinal seam joints significantly reduces installation time.
- The low height of the seams (25 or 32 mm) contributes to the modernity, lightness and regularity of the roof and facade, while highlighting its architectural purpose. When dealing with more complex designs this system presents a more technologically advanced appearance.
- The standing seam technique is particularly suitable for very large roof and facade surfaces and for structures located in regions of harsh climate, which are often subject to strong winds, heavy rain and snowfall (mountain or continental climate).
|Height of the seam||Centre to centre distance 500 mm coil width|
|H = 25 mm||430 mm|
|H = 32 mm||416 mm|
|Thickness||0.7 mm - 0.8 mm|
|Length||to 15 m|
|Traditional system widely used throughout the world,|
|Flexibility and discreet joints making it suitable for every architectural design,|
|Maximum wind resistance,|
|Fast and easy installation making it a cost effective solution.|
- All types of roofs.
- All shapes: flat, curved, concave, convex, conical, domes.
- Pitches: Minimum pitch 3° (5%).
The support must be :
- Rigid and continuous.
- Meet loading requirements in conformity with a minimum pull out strength of 50daM for each clip.
- Rest on at least 3 bearing structure elements.
- Have no protruding elements on the support.
Stages to install Double lock standing seam:
Laying the panel on the structure :
Lay the panel on the structure.
The L profile of the preceding panel and the clips that have been fastened to the panel and fixed to the structure are covered by the U of the next panel, avoiding stresses and lateral traction.
Installation of clips.
Number of clips for roofing (depends on the climate zone - contact us for further information)
When the length of the roof slope exceeds the maximum recommended length, it is necessary to join the sheets using transversal junctions. Several techniques exist depending on the pitch of the roof.
Step (or drip)
For pitches of 3° (5%) or more: The step height will be a minimum of 8 cm for Standing Seam.
For pitches of 8° (15%) or more:
The double welt can be used in the standing seam technique for pitches of 15% and above. The minimum length of the overlap is 200 mm with a securing clip at the top.
The overlap should be increased according to climatic conditions such as wind and rain.
For pitches > 25° (47%) or more:
The single welt or single lock cross-welt with an overlap of 50 mm can be adopted for pitches greater than 47% (25°) in the standing seam technique.
VMZINC recommends using the double welt over the single welt for standing seam techniques as it provides greater water resistance.
Clips have a dual function:
- Ensuring the mechanical resistance of the entire roof.
- Allowing free expansion of the metal.
The clips from VMZINC are made of 304 stainless steel. The thickness of the fixing clip is 0.5 mm.
The sliding clips have a moving component, which is 0.4 mm thick, and a 70-mm long slot to allow free movement of the panel from VMZINC under expansion and contraction.
The sliding component of these clips must be carefully positioned within the slot at the time of installation. In general, the sliding component is positioned in the middle of the slot.
The clips resistance to tearing is 50 daN.
It is recommended that screws be used to secure the clips.
Three screws per sliding clip is recommended. The use of nails offers significantly less resistance, but in the event of using nails contractors are advised to use ring shank nails.
Centre to centre distance between clips
- 330 mm on the main part of the roof.
- 165 mm at the perimeter on a distance equal to 1/8 of the projected roof (Ra1), minimum of 3 clips to ensure wind resistance.
If your project is higher than 30 meters and/or if it is in an area where wind speed is higher than 170 km/h once a year, please consult VMZINC.
Fixed clip positions
Use the chart below to determine the location of the fixing clips on your project.
Today and for past so many years, Zinc is standing among the most sustainable metals used in construction industry. It has been used on the roofs of Paris for almost more than 200 years. VMZINC offers the most tradition roofing system in the form of standing seam system which is highly adaptive to building designs and matches the sustainability and life expectancy of the buildings. VMZINC standing seam system has been designed to complement a wide range of building materials and styles and to suits a new build or refurbishment. VMZINC Preweathered finishes holds exceptional surface finish stability while ensuring that the maintenance shall be minimal throughout the system’s service life. Moreover, Natural finish also makes sure that the appearance of the installed material will be sustained for long years. Our versatile standing seam system is widely known for its implementation in ventilated and non- ventilated roof construction.
Key benefits of VMZINC Standing Seam are as follows:
- Desired Thermal & Acoustic Properties
- 100% Recyclable, Sustainable, Ferrous free and lightweight
- Adaptive built-up as per project requirements
- Offers enhanced acoustical performance STC
- Provision within system for Thermal expansion & contraction of the metal
- Double lock for roofing application is recommended for better performance
- Durable service life of around 80 to 100 plus years depending upon environmental conditions
- Effectively maintenance-free
- Can be installed for 3 degree & above roof slopes
- No use of silicon sealant at sheet of flashing overlaps
- 25mm seam height is very elegant & aesthetically eye pleasing
- Concealed clip & fasteners arrangement provides system better aesthetical finish
- Can be customized to achieve desired Architectural intent
- On site with curving machine 300mm radius can be achieved, can go below that with factory made special tools
- Can achieve complex roofing contours
- Suitable Rainwater systems available to complement standing seam roofing systems / Suitable for applications at Roofs, Facades, Soffits & Interiors
- BBA, BRE Green Guide certified
- Can be laid in lengths up to 30 meters without the need for expansion steps
- Available in a choice of various finishing
VMZINC Double Lock Standing Seam System can have application on curved, complex and 2 & 3 Dimensional roofs in various types of buildings such as Auditoriums, Railway Stations, Museums, Commercial Buildings, Private Residences, Airports, etc. The system can also be used for complex as well as simple roofs.
Why Choose Us?VMZINC takes LCA (Life Cycle Analysis) tests on all of its products and also publishes Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs). This includes BRE Environmental Profiles that you can easily access from our website www.vmzinc.co.uk and www.greenbooklive.com. Users can make use of this information as it is comprehensive, reliable, and transparent and provides relevant environmental features. Moreover, VMZINC also refers to this information for the eco-design approach.
We have been audited and reviewed by BRE Global and also holds a Certified Environmental Profile and a Green Guide rating from Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). VMZINC’s broad spectrum of zinc roofing and cladding systems have undergone auditing and have received a Green Guide rating of up to A+.
If your project is higher than 30 meters and if it is in an area where wind speed is higher than 170 km/h once a year, please contact us.
What are the different sectors where VMZINC Double Lock Standing Seam roofs can be used?
Do VMZINC standing seam metal roofs leak?
What are the advantages of VMZINC double lock standing seam ROOF?
Do Double Lock Standing Seam roofs in VMZINC make the house hotter?
Can VMZINC Double Lock Standing Seam be used for Curved & Complex Roofs ?